Best of 2010 (so far)

It is almost hard to fathom that it is already June. Half of the year has practically flown by right before my eyes. I thought it would be fun to list my favorite releases this year so far.

10. Strangers - System Syn
 09. Darkness Prevails - Pulcher Femina
 08. Popgefahr - De/Vision
 07. Deception Island - Bella Koshka
 06. Living in Transition - Access Zero
 05. Crucifix Powerbomb - Santa Hates You
 04. Implements of Hell - Suicide Commando
 03. Breedless - Ego Likeness
 02. The Kill House EP - Syrenn
 01. Moving On - Unter Null

I was tempted to put The Kill House EP by Syrenn in my top spot but Syrenn has a full length album coming out this summer so I am sure that will kick major ass and get into my final best of list by the end of the year. I truly recommend downloading The Kill House ASAP.

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed in the Pulcher Femina cd. There were a few songs that I didn't care for but eventually I did come around to love most of Darkness Prevails.

Lately I have been digging a lot of stuff from the synthpop label A Different Drum records like Code 64, Blume, and from what I have heard on youtube Colony 5 (still waiting for their cd Fixed from them). Access Zero I have been following for sometime now on Myspace and their debut album Living in Transition is wonderful. I like the mix of synthpop and rock. I think the band pulls it off better than Mesh did with A Perfect Solution (which I now think is a very weak album). I would have included Rise from Grey by Blume on the list but it was released last year. Personally I think that is the best synthpop album I have heard in a long time. I find myself preferring Blume over De/Vision. I feel like De/Vision has painted themselves into a corner. I do think Popgefahr is still wonderful by all means. I love the songs "Twisted Story" and "Plastic Heart".

As much as I liked Suicide Commando when Blind, Torture Kill first came out, I just wasn't all too impressed but Implements of Hell really kicked me in the ass big time. Maybe because lately I have been digging the really harsh electro scene. Anyways, I have been listening to Implements of Hell a lot lately, especially at work. LOL!

Lately I have found myself enjoying Santa Hates You over Project Pitchfork. The music is simply fun and energetic and a lot of the credit for that goes to Jinxy. Crucifix Powerbomb is a ton of fun to listen. The lyrics are quite humorous and silly like on "Z.O.M.B.I.E" and I don't say that in a bad way.

I have to admit Breedless is my first Ego Likeness album. I totally dug  what I heard. The songs are so catchy. I also had to list Bella Koshka's new album Deception Island. It is the only non-industrial album on my list. They did not disappoint me with their follow up album Slow Dancing On the Ocean Floor.

As wonderful as all of these albums are, they just couldn't hold a candle to my beloved Unter Null's latest concoction Moving On. I sincerely enjoyed Erica Dunham's exploration into IDM in her music. She adds a whole new layer to her traditional music which can be easily categorized as terror EBM or aggrotech. I bought the limited edition superfan box which included two bonus discs. The instrumentals on the Moved On disc was awesome. For anyone who is familiar with Erica's other project Stray, you can definitely hear Stray on her latest UE effort. While Unter Null is not completely done, Erica is putting it on hiatus to focus on Stray and whatever fancies her tastes which is good. Artists should not be confined to one particular project or sound and should be allowed to grow and experiment with their art.

The year is still young and there are other releases for me to buy like the upcoming Cylab album Cut and Coil. I want to get the new Suicidal Romance album Shattered Heart, Decoded Feedback's Aftermath, and Edge of Dawn's Anything that Gets You Through the Night.

Comments

Popular Posts