5 artists/bands that are worth checking out

For tonight's playlist, I decided to limit it my list to just 5. The topic for tonight is 5 bands that I think people should check out.

05. Protea - Normally darkwave/ambient music is a hit or miss with me, plus I am more of an industrial fan. I first head of Protea on a compilation from machineKUNT records with her cover of "Little Drummer Boy". You can find her first album The Osiris Tree on CDBaby. To get an idea of Protea's sound, I posted a link to her Myspace page. You can also listen to her music on Reverb Nation. It's interesting music to say the very least. She reminds me of Diamanda Galas and Siouxsie Sioux, mixed in with Egyptology and cats.

04. Pysborg Corp
I first discovered Psyborg Corp through youtube over the summer. It was their cover of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance that introduced me to the Columbian aggrotech band. I automatically fell in love with Psyborg Corp. Their debut album The Mechanical Renaissance is excellent. It is one of my favorite albums of 2010 regardless of genres.

03. Cylab is one of my personal favorite bands of all time. SeVerina Sol sang on the first Diva Destruction album. I first heard of Cylab in an issue of Outburn magazine (I think) before they turned into a shitty metal/punk magazine. The magazine had a brief review of their first album Unparallel Universe. I was immediately intrigued and bought a copy online. I have been hooked since then and that was like in 2004/2005. Their music is a nice mix of trip hop and industrial music. Unlike Collide (whose music is utterly dull and monotonous IMO), Cylab's music is quite diverse thanks to Percy's ingenuity and creativeness with the synthesizer. This live performance of the song Skins is from their latest cd Cut &Coil (available on CD Baby as both digital and CD, only as digital on Amazon.com).

02. Syrenn - I first discovered Syrenn's music via Myspace about 2 years ago. I was quickly reminded of Ayria but with a punk edge. Earlier this year the Philadelphia band made its debut with the digital EP The Kill House EP via machineKUNT records. Syrenn is definitely one of my favorite finds on Myspace.

01. Sensuous Enemy - rarely am I impressed bands from the midwest. Sensuous Enemy is that rare midwestern band who has a huge sound that transcends location. I first heard of Sensuous Enemy through Myspace after receiving a friend request from the band last year. I really liked what I heard on their profile page but it wasn't until a live performance at Club Underground that really sealed the deal with me. The band recently released their latest effort Parity which you can listen for free in its entirety on Sound Cloud.

Comments

Popular Posts