The Break Up - Synthesis

The Break Up



Synthesis is the debut album by the Seattle band The Break Up. The band consists of Shane Allen Hall, Severina Sol, Rey Guajardo, and Sarah Ann Stewart. For some people, Severina Sol is most notably known for her work in Cylab as well as Fockewolf, and the first Diva Destruction album. The Break Up first came to my attention with Jennifer Parkin of Ayria mentioned the band. When I saw that my favorite singer Severina Sol was in the band, that immediately made me love them right from the word go. Earlier this year, the band put out a music video for the song "My Machine" and when I heard that I couldn't help but think this is the love child between Cylab and Ayria. It goes without saying that I was excited about their debut album.

Right before Thanksgiving, I received my copy of Synthesis from Metropolis Records. I have not been able to stop listening to the album. The music is a mix of various musical genres thrown together into a food processor and blended together to create an eclectic mix of retro and modern electropop. As a diehard Cylab fan, I can not help but hear a bit of Severina Sol's other band but that is due mostly to her smooth, seductive vocals. As I continued to listen to the album, I could also hear a bit of The Human League, Missing Persons, Berlin, and more importantly Siouxsie Sioux (especially on the track "Come Undone"). Considering  the diverse sounds on the album, I was pleasantly surprised by how well the songs flowed together as opposed to sounding disjointed or out of whack so to speak. From a technical standpoint, I think Synthesis really showcases Severina Sol's talents as a singer. Her vocal range on this album truly shines through especially on songs like "Come Undone" and "The Sun". I think with the diverse sounds of The Break Up, Severina Sol is allowed to really let loose. I get chills when she sings on "The Sun". The one song that really gets my groove on is the title track with its gritty electro beats and fetching pop hooks. What a fantastic way to close out this delightful album. I definitely recommend this album without a shadow of a doubt.

2011 has been another great year for music. I heard 2 great new debut albums...one being Chimaera at Heart by Javelynn, and the other Synthesis by The Break Up.

Comments

Popular Posts