Twin Cities Electropunk Volume 6

Twin Cities Electropunk volume6

Last weekend I attended the cd release party for the new volume of TC Electropunk 6 at Club Underground. This is free compilation of local bands in the Twin Cities (Saint Paul/Minneapolis, Minnesota for my foreign readers)that comes out every year. What do all these bands have in commmon? They are all part of the underground electro scene in the Twin Cities. The scene may not be big but it is obvious to me that it is a tight little community that clearly shows a lot of love for each other.

Prior to volume 6, I have only heard volume 5 and to be brutally honest, I wasn't crazy about it. At least at the time. I might have to pull out my copy out of storage and give it another chance. Volume 6 I liked right from the get go. A lot of the bands on the disc I am very familiar like POP INC, Thought Thieves, Little Tin Box, AS/OF, and Thosquanta. The sounds are very diverse ranging from the electropop sounds of The Night to the industrial/metal sounds of OBCT. While there are about 2-3 tracks that I wasn't really feeling, the majority of the compilation is truly a joy to listen to. I also discovered a few gems that I had no knowledge of until now.

One of the tracks that really stood out with me is "The Carousel (Planktoon Mix)" by Mach FoX.

This is a song that is right up my alley. Totally sounds it came straight out of Germany or one of the Scandinavian countries where a lot of my favorite EBM/synthpop bands originate from. So to know that Mach FoX is from my neck of the woods is pretty damn awesome.

Another personal fave is "Love Kills" by The BlackLight.

The song is in that industrial/rock vein similiar to i:Scintilla.

Overall the compilation, not to mention series is a great introduction to the local music scene in the Twin Cities. If anything the series shows that there is a burgeoning electro scene in the metro area that I THINK is worth checking out. Oh and at the top of the blog is a link to the bandcamp page where you can download it for free. I do hope though that in the future bands like Ana Robik, The Rope and Gabriel and the Apocalypse will contribute to the series. Just my $0.02 though.

Comments

Popular Posts