100 greatest songs of the 1990s

Last week I caught a bit of VH1's 100 Greatest Songs of the '90s on television. I nearly wanted to throw up all over the tv when I saw the list. Yes there were some gems but those were few and far between in a sea of crap. I decided that I could come up with a better list just like I did earlier with my 100 Greatest Women in Music. So here is my list of what I consider the 100 greatest songs of the 1990s. Enjoy!

100. Mindphaser - Front Line Assembly
99. Josephina - Gene Loves Jezebel
98. Vision Thing - The Sisters of Mercy
97. I Wanna Be Your Joey Ramone - Sleater-Kinney
96. Papua New Guinea - Future Sound of London
95. Sleep to Dream - Fiona Apple
94. Ich Bin Ein Auslander - Pop Will Eat Itself
93. My Favorite Game - The Cardigans
92. Rusty Cage - Soundgarden
91. The Rockafeller Skank - Fatboy Slim
90. Ordinary World - Duran Duran
89. Feed the Tree - Belly
88. Heaven or Las Vegas - Cocteau Twins
87. Man in the Box - Alice in Chains
86. Maria - Blondie
85. Crash - The Primitives
84. Inbetweener - Sleeper
83. I Sit On Acid - Lords of Acid
82. Clown - Switchblade Symphony
81. Du Hast - Rammstein
80. Bruise Violet - Babes in Toyland
79. I've Got to Go Now - Toni Childs
78. Blue Monday - Orgy
77. Bullet with Butterfly Wings - The Smashing Pumpkins
76. Selling the Drama - Live
75. Pretend We're Dead - L7
74. Laid - James
73. Alison - Slowdive
72. Come to Daddy - Aphex Twin
71. I Can't Imagine the World Without Me - Echobelly
70. There She Goes - The La's
69. Frozen - Madonna
68. Down By the Water - PJ Harvey
67. Everyday is Like Sunday - Morrissey
66. Trigger Hippie - Morcheeba
65. Black Metallic - Catherine Wheel
64. Wild Horses - The Sundays
63. Don't Look Back in Anger - Oasis
62. Doll Parts -Hole
61. Connection - Elastica
60. Incantation - Delerium
59. Ardera Sempre - Miranda Sex Garden
58. Just Like Honey - The Jesus and Mary Chain
57. Angry Johnny - Poe
56. The Box - Orbital
55. Overcome - Tricky
54. Here Comes Your Man - The Pixies
53. Around the World - Daft Punk
52. Sour Times - Portishead
51. If I Can't Change Your Mind - Sugar
50. Return to Innocence - Enigma
49. Better Life - Solar Twins
48. Firestarter - Prodigy
47. Psalm 69 - Ministry
46. Selling Jesus - Skunk Anansie
45. Little Fluffy Clouds - The Orb
44. Friday I'm In Love - The Cure
43. Dreams - The Cranberries
42. All Apologies - Nirvana
41. Curlylocks - Baby Fox
40. Juke Joint Jezbel - KMFDM
39. Common People - Pulp
38. These Are Days - 10,000 Maniacs
37. The Child Inside - Qkumba Zoo
36. Busy Child - The Crystal Method
35. Three Strange Days - School of Fish
34. The Path of Thorns - Sarah McLachlan
33. Stolen Car - Beth Orton
32. Sad Tomorrow -The Muffs
31. 500 (Shake Baby Shake) - Lush
30. Block Rockin' Beats - The Chemical Brothers
29. Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode
28. Open Up - Leftfield
27. Only Shallow - My Bloody Valentine
26. Why - Annie Lennox
25. Control - Traci Lords
24. Where the Wild Roses Grow - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds with Kylie Minogue
23. Only Happy When It Rains - Madonna
22. Runaway - The Corrs
21. Ten Little Girls - Curve
20. Nothing Compares 2 U - Sinead O'Connor
19. Porcelain - Moby
18. Ruby Soho - Rancid
17. Tuesday Morning - The Pogues
16. Fade into You - Mazzy Star
15. Connection - Elastica
14. Regret - New Order
13. Volcano Girls - Veruca Salt
12. Teardrop - Massive Attack
11. It's Oh So Quiet - Bjork
10. Life in Mono - Mono
09. Fingers and Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day) - Erasure
08. Bury My Lovely - October Project
07. Mummer's Dance - Loreena McKennitt
06. Silent All These Years - Tori Amos
05. She's On the Phone - Saint Etienne
04. Battersea - Hooverphonic
03. Joey - Concrete Blonde
02. Kiss Them For Me - Siouxsie and the Banshees
01. Ball and Chain - Social Distortion

This list is pretty much a reflection of my taste in music for most of the '90s, beginning with my sophomore year in high school when I discovered alternative rock music like Social Distortion and going through to the present moment. I tried to keep it the songs to singles for the most part but there are a few songs on the list that were not released as singles.

Comments

Popular Posts