Happy Birthday to the compact disc

Today I just learned that the compact disc has turned 30 years old. The compact disc turns 30. What an ugly reminder of how old I am getting ;). In honor of the CD's 30th birthday, I thought I would share with my readers the first five cds I bought when I was a teenager.

Loreena McKennitt: The Mask and the Mirror

This was the very first cd I ever bought. I first heard of Loreena McKennitt on Cities 97 and immediately fell in love with her voice and music. I still love this album to this very day.

Pink Floyd: The Dark Side of the Moon

My older brother played Pink Floyd a lot as a teenager. Evenutally his taste in music wore off on me. This was my second cd I bought. Now? I don't listen to them any more. I find PF's music bloody boring to be honest.

Penelope Houston and her Band: The Whole World

I came across this cd at a used book store and got curious about it. It was okay but I really didn't listen to it very much. Music didn't really stick with me to be honest.

Social Distortion: Social Distortion

This is the album that altered my musical tastes forever. I used to listen to really bad hair metal but then I saw a video for SD's "Ball and Chain" on MTV and that got me into alternative music at the time. I first had a cassette version but eventually I bought a cd version.

Siouxsie and The Banshees: Twice Upon a Time

I first had this album in cassette form but after leaving the University of Northern Iowa (after one year of hell), I bought a cd version of my favorite album in my college years. While Ministry's Psalm 69 album was my first intro to the goth/industrial scene, this collection of Siouxsie and the Banshees songs was the album that really influenced me and still has a lasting impression on me.

Comments

Popular Posts