My favorite albums that I didn't expect to like

Tonight I decided to take a break from my usual posting on our little corner of the music scene and share with readers my favorite albums that I didn't expect to like.

Scala and Kolacny: Scala and Kolacny

Early last year I came across Scala and Kolcany via youtube with their cover of The Cure's "Friday I'm in Love". I was really drawn to the distinctive interpretations of various popular songs in modern music ranging from The Cure to Rammstein (believe it or not).


Exitmusic:Passage

I first of Exitmusic in an article on City Pages' website. It featured a video clip of one of their songs from Passage. I was totally hooked. Their album Passage is one of the most beautiful albums I have ever heard, reminds me a lot of Sigur Ros and Bat for Lashes.


Delta Rae: Carry the Fire

Delta Rae is a band I totally did not expect to like but I did. I had seen a music video by the band on VH1 one morning and was totally intrigued by the band's mix of gospel, folk, country, rock, and blues. And the harmonies is really fantastic. I rarely hear bands harmonize as well as Delta Rae. Their debut album proved to be totally addicting.



Chely Wright: Lifted Off the Ground

Now this I really didn't expect to like since I am not a big country music fan. After reading her book Like Me and watching Wish Me Away documentary, I figured I had to check out her album Lifted Off the Ground which was released in 2010 when Chely came out of the closet. Much to my surprise, I actually found myself enjoying her album. I think I like the album so much is because it is such an sparse, intimate, personal album without the bombastic theatrics that comes with a lot of country albums. I can't believe I am saying this but I plan on buying Chely's next album when it comes out. She made this non-country music fan a fan.


Ellie Goulding: Halcyon

This is one of my favorite pop albums of 2012. I wish this album got as much airtime as P!nk's Truth About Love (which I like but the music is getting overplayed too death), if not even more so. I wasn't really a fan of Ellie's when her first album came out but when I heard "Anything Could Happen", I decided to give her music a chance.


Dolly Parton: These Were the Days
A co-worker had lent me his copy of this Dolly Parton cd for the afternoon like a year or two ago. I was surprised by how much I liked her interpretations of the classic songs on this album. I will say this I do prefer her original material but still These Were the Days is a fun album. It's a nice departure from what I usually listen to at the office and at work.

Comments

Popular Posts