My 10 favorite albums from the '80s

Since over the weekend I posted a blog about my favorite albums from the '90s, I thought I would post another but with my favorite albums from the '80s.

10. Nena: 99 Luftballoons [1984]

I think Nena is one of those rare artists from the '80s who got simply written off by the US way too soon. Her music then and still to this very day is excellent pop music. I think her album 99 Luftballons holds up very well in this day and age of EDM. Personally I prefer her music over EDM to be honest.


09. Siouxsie and the Banshees: Tinderbox [1986]

By far my favorite Siouxsie and the Banshees album. After checking out their compilation Twice Upon a Time and falling in love with the song "Cities in Dust", I knew I had to get the album "Cities in Dust" was on. That immediately made me a lifelong fan of Siouxsie and The Banshees.


08. Joan Jett and The Blackhearts: I Love Rock 'N Roll [1981]

It's funny. I didn't become a fan of Joan Jett and The Blackhearts until after I had seen the film "The Runaways" a few years ago. After seeing the movie, I started watching Joan's music videos on youtube and quickly became hooked on it. I Love Rock 'N Roll is my personal favorite album from Joan Jett and The Blackhearts.


07. Cocteau Twins: Treasure [1984]

Now THIS is hands down my favorite, favorite, favorite Cocteau Twins. Absolutely love this album. I honestly don't remember how I came across the band but I do remember buying the album from Let It Be Records and loving every second of it. This was like over a decade ago when I first moved back to the Twin Cities from Minneapolis.


06. Eurythmics: Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This) [1983]

Always loved this band since my teenage years but I didn't buy any of their music like their album Sweet Dreams until I was an adult. This is my personal favorite Eurythmics album.


05. Erasure: The Innocents [1988]

My personal favorite Erasure album hands down. I love Nightbird and their self-titled album a lot but nothing beats The Innocents in my book.


04. The Cure - Disintegration [1989]

I was first exposed to this classic Cure album when I was in high school and my brother's then high school girlfriend would often play this in the car. It wasn't until college did I really fall in love with this album. This is just a timeless classic.


03. The Sisters of Mercy - Floodland [1987]

Another great discovery as an adult. A friend of mine had burned a few songs off the album on some mixed cds she made for me and I was hooked immediately.


02. Cyndi Lauper: She's So Unusual [1984]

While most of my peers in the '80s were into Madonna, I was all about Cyndi Lauper. I liked Madonna but Cyndi stood out more for me. I loved her quirkiness and her distinct style of fashion. As for her music, I loved her vocal range. I felt she had a better range than Madonna and I still feel that way to this very day.


01. The Bangles: Everything [1988]

Everything is easily my favorite album by The Bangles. I felt their songwriting and harmonies were the strongest on this album in comparison to their previous two albums. I also felt that Michael Steele's strongest material that she sang and wrote on was on Everything. I still listen to this album to this very day and still find it a real joy to listen to.

Comments

Popular Posts