My 10 favorite albums from the '90s

Today I made a trip to my favorite record store The Electric Fetus to see what I could find in their bins. I ended up leaving the store with Ghost and Writer's new album Red Flags and Moby's Play. As I am listening to Play right, it got me thinking of my favorite albums from the '90s (as in released during the '90s, my memory is too far gone to remember all of my favorite albums from that decade...lol).

10. Apoptygma Berzerk - 7 (1998)

7 is easily my favorite Apop album ever, along with Harmonizer and Welcome to Earth. Just catchy as hell music. After Harmonizer, the band went to hell in a handbasket for me. I rather remember Apop for the albums I do love by them.


09. Madonna - Ray of Light (1998)

Prior to Ray of Light, I can honestly say I was not a diehard Madonna fan. I liked her music but I was more of a Cyndi Lauper fan. When I first heard the first single off Ray of Light called "Frozen", I knew right then and there I had to buy this album. Just loved William Orbit's production work on the album. At the time I was really into techno/rave music so it was right up my alley.


08. Lush - Lovelife (1996)

Believe it or not, Lovelife was one of a handful of albums that introduced me to the shoegaze movement. I saw the music video for "Ladykillers" on MTV and was totally impressed by what I had heard. I quickly latched onto the whole Britpop movement during that decade.


07. Curve - Doppelganger (1992)

Of all the albums Curve has released, my personal favorite Curve album is Doppelganger. Really love the fuzzy, distorted guitar riffs ala Jesus and Mary Chain although I do love the following releases the band put out.


06. Belly - Star (1993)

Star is truly one of the most underrated albums ever released. I was a freshman in college when I first heard this band and had the album on cassette. I always got pegged by my peers at the college I was attending at the time as being different because of my different, unusual taste in music. None of it was mainstream. Star was one of those albums I adored and played incessantly.


05. Social Distortion - Social Distortion (1990)

This album really changed my musical horizons for me. At the time I was listening to really crappy hair metal but when I first saw the music video for "Ball and Chain" at a friend's house, that opened my eyes and kicked my sorry 16 year old ass. The song was infectious to say the very least. I quickly ditched the stupid hair metal and started listening to modern rock/alternative music. By the time I graduated from high school, I was listening to L7, The Rollins Band, Babes in Toyland, The Gits, Nirvana, 7 Year Bitch, Soundgarden, etc...etc... .


04. Leftfield - Leftism (1995)

My former roommate Brian introduced me to some kick ass techno music in the nineties. One of the groups he got me into was Leftfield. Leftism left a huge impression on me. Still a favorite album of mine to this very day.


03. Concrete Blonde - Bloodletting (1990)
I still remember first hearing the single "Joey" from this album. I was heading home to Minnesota from Montana with my church youth group in the summer of 1992, about to head into my senior year in high school. I was so blown away by Johnette Napolitano's powerful vocals. They just gave me the chills. Her skills as a bassist was just as amazing too.




02. Moby - Play (1999)

Yet another album from my former roommate Brian that I absolutely loved to pieces back in the '90s and still do. Brian played that album so much me and another former roomie ended up buying our own copies of Play.


01. Faithless - Sunday 8pm (1999)

Sunday 8pm is my all time favorite album of the '90s. Certainly is my favorite electronica album of that decade for sure. I love the mix of trance, house, and trip hop music. Definitely one of the most influential albums for me.



Honorable Mentions:
Republica - Republica
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads
Delerium - Karma
Erasure - Cowboy
Trainspotting soundtrack
Portishead - Dummy
Massive Attack - Protection
Elastica - Elastica
L7 - Bricks are Heavy
Ministry - Psalm 69

Comments

Popular Posts