Best of 2013: Tales of Us by Goldfrapp

Tales of Us By Goldfrapp

Tales of Us is the album that I have been longing for from the electronica act Goldfrapp since their debut album Felt Mountain. While I do like most of their albums that proceeded Felt Mountain, I always missed that intimate sound that their first album had which was lacking in its predecessors except for 7th Tree. The band's more dance orientated albums are pretty good and I do like a good number of their dance songs like "Strict Machine" and "Ooh Lah Lah" but a lot of felt felt contrived to me. When I first heard Tales of Us on Spotify, I was in heaven. For the first few weeks after I bought the album, I listened to it every freaking day. I was hooked with its seductive charms courtesy of Alison Goldfrapp with her breathy vocals and Will's subtle production style. This is probably the closest I will ever get to hearing another Felt Mountain but that is okay. I really like that the duo incorporated acoustic guitars into their music. I love how sparse and intimate the album is and that Alison's vocals isn't overwhelmed by thunderous dance beats except maybe on the track "Thea". For people who got into Goldfrapp with their post-Felt Mountain albums, they will probably be disappointed in the laid back sounds of Tales of Us but for those who fell in love with them on Felt Mountain, this album is definitely worth checking out.

Comments

Popular Posts