Throwback Thursday: 4 albums that got me into goth/industrial music

Maybe it is the fact that I am turning 40 later this year or maybe it is the never ending frigid cold weather here in Minnesota that is having an effect on my brain but whatever the case may be I have been taking a trip down memory lane on youtube today at work in honor of #throwbackthursday. I thought I would share with my readers some of the music that has influenced me in my early years which has led me to be the music junkie/fanatic that I am today.

01. Psalm 69 by Ministry

Psalm 69 remains the biggest and baddest industrial album I have ever listened to. I first heard the title track on the now defunct alternative radio station Rev105. I was about 17 at the time. The album had come out in '92.

02. Siouxsie and The Banshees: Twice Upon a Time/The singles
I was 19 years old when I first heard this compilation of Siouxsie and The Banshees. 1993/1994 was not a good year for me. I was not happy at the school I was attending. I bought a cassette version of this compilation from BMG. I was totally blown away by Siouxsie Sioux's voice. Her voice was nothing like I had never heard of before. I don't know why I had bought the tape but I am glad I did. I played that tape to death. I remember having to take a pencil and rewinding the ribbon back into the tape. LOL! The song that really stood out with me on this album has to be "Cities in Dust". Still my favorite Siouxsie and The Banshees song of all time. Just love Siouxsie Sioux's vocals on this track.


03. Nine Inch Nails - Broken

Along with the Siouxsie and The Banshees' album, Broken was another album that literally saved me from my own misery in my freshman year in college. I could really relate to the angst and nihilism of Trent Reznor's lyrics. The song "Wish" was what got me to buy the EP. I swear to gawd I was ready to slit my wrists when I was 19. Thank heavens for Trent and Siouxsie.

04. KMFDM - NIHIL

NIHIL is the album that really pushed me to listen to industrial music on a more serious level. I was living in Milwaukee at the time, I believe I was 21 at the time. I first heard the song "Juke Joint Jezebel" at a house party. It wasn't until after the party did I go out and buy the remixes for "Juke Joint Jezebel" from the now closed Atomic records. What drew me to the song was the female vocals and the beats. I knew right then and there this is the kind of music I could listen to for a very long time (unlike europop/trance/house music which was what I listened to at the time in my college years). When I first moved back  to Minnesota, one of the first albums I bought was Retro by KMFDM and then I got NIHIL. That was like 14-15 years ago.

Comments

Popular Posts