Some food for thought: Why I love music

So last night before I had to go to bed, I came across an interesting article from The A.V Club titled New study reveals some peole really don't like music, all people like money. You can read the actual study from the University of Barcelona here. This had me scratching my head. I kinda understand why there is a small segment of the human population who just can't get into music as I read the comments section on NPR's article on the same topic. To each their own I suppose.

I think it is pretty obvious that I am a big music junkie. After all I have about ten concerts to attend between now and June and my CD collection is fairly extensive. As I am writing tonight's blog, I got Icona Pop's album This Is... blasting on my boombox. I have to listen to music when I blog, surfing the 'net, read, or cook. I am not a fan of silence or the sound of people or the elevator because my apartment is right smacked dab in front of the elevators therefore I need some background noise to drown that shit out.

For me listening to music is as important as is breathing and eating. I cannot function without listening to music, especially when I am at the insane asylum (i.e work). Since my 9 to 5 job is just basic data entry work, I need to be motivate me to do my job and music does that for me. I tend to listen to a lot of industrial, synthpop and metal at work although lately I have been on a pop kick (i.e Icona Pop, Charli XCX, and Sky Ferreira). Also music drowns out the batshit crazy people I work with. Good gawd I work with some insane women. If you want to know what Hell looks like, it looks like my office (i.e middle aged/post-menopausal women with the maturity level of a 12 year old).

Another reason to love music is that music can be very therapeutic for a troubled soul. There have been quite a few times in my life that music proved to have saved my life when I was a teenager/college student. My freshmen year in college in Cedar Falls, IA was such a miserable year. I was just not happy there but thank gawd for Siouxsie and The Banshees whose music literally made me finish the remainder of the school year without applying a razor blade to my wrists. Or if I am in a really bad mood (courtesy of work), I will tend to throw in some Suicide Commando, Unter Null, Hocico, or Butcher Babies to make me feel better when I get home from work. For me, nothing calms my nerves down like some aggrotech or heavy metal.

Then there is the thrill of shopping for music. Normally I really don't enjoy shopping but when it comes to music, I absolutely love music shopping. There just is nothing like going through the CD racks or bins at The Electric Fetus and Cheapo Records and  finding some interesting new music.

Finally I can't forget to mention about seeing my favorite bands live. As much as I love listening to music at home (or work to keep me sane and free from murderous thoughts), I love going to concerts and seeing my favorite artists/bands perform live. There really just is nothing like seeing one's favorite artist/band perform live on stage. I always get a thrill from every show I attend, whether it is a local band or a national band. Plus it gets me out of the apartment. lol

While those who are ambivalent to music are certainly entitled to their opinions, I for one can't imagine for the life of me a life without the enjoyment of music.  For me life without the enjoyment of music just isn't worth living.

Comments

Popular Posts