Album of the Week: Dirty Gold by Angel Haze

Angel Haze: Dirty Gold

I chose Angel Haze's debut full-length album Dirty Gold as my Album of the Week. I have been listening to the album constantly since I got it in the mail last week. I came across Angel's music via youtube with her song "Battle Cry" which features SIA. I soon found myself listening to the song over and over again. I started checking out her music on Spotify and youtube and found myself really enjoying Angel's music. I ended up ordering a copy Dirty Gold online. As picky music fanatic who prefers industrial and synthpop music over hip hop (or anything mainstream for that matter) music, Dirty Gold turned out to be a pleasant surprise for me. I really dug Angel's rapid fire raps as well as her singing. I also like how deeply personal the lyrics in her music can be. In this day and age of Iggy Azalea and Nicki Minaj, Angel Haze is breath of fresh air to me. I found nothing about Angel's music to be cliched or repetitive. The strongest and most compelling tracks for me is "Sing About Me", "Battle Cry", "Dirty Gold" and "Rose Tinted Suicide". I wasn't really too big on "New York" (one of the bonus tracks on my version of Dirty Gold). I wasn't fond of the hooks or the lyrics. I found that track rather monotonous but overall I love the album. Dirty Gold is a nice change of pace from the other music I listen to on a regular basis.

Comments

Popular Posts