International Women's day: Women who has influenced me

If you have been living under a rock or in a cave, today is International Women's Day. International Women's Day is defined as a global day celebrating the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future. I thought in honor of today's holiday, I would share some of my favorite women in music both past and present who has heavily influenced me as a woman and my musical tastes as well.

Cyndi Lauper

I have always love Cyndi since I was a child. I always loved her quirky personality (not to mention her sense of fashion style), and fierce independent streak.

The Bangles

The Bangles showed me that gender has nothing to do with being able to play any instruments especially guitars and drums. They also knew how to write really catchy pop hooks and harmonize as a band.

Blondie

When I was in my pre-teen years I was a big Blondie fan, Debbie Harry of Blondie really epitomized cool. At the time, I didn't know Blondie was my first taste of punk music. To this day Debbie Harry and Blondie is badass in my book.

Siouxsie and The Banshees

I didn't discover Siouxsie and The Banshees until I was 19 years old (which was 21 years ago :P) but man! Did she leave a huge impression on me.

Hanzel und Gretyl

Vas Kallas of Hanzel und Gretyl was the first female artist I had ever heard whose vocals was anything but clean and polished. I was completely blown away by how ferocious her vocals were when I first heard them. Vas Kallas has shown me that women don't have to

Unter Null

As far as current artists, Unter Null still remains my biggest musical influence. Unter Null is what really got me into the whole aggrotech sound.

Garbage

I have always liked Garbage for some time now but it has only been for the last few years have I truly come to appreciate the band and especially Shirley Manson's outspoken personality. When Shirley speaks her mind, she really speaks her mind unapologetically and I love her for that.

Comments

Popular Posts