What I am digging in 2015

Today I stopped by the Electric Fetus to pick up the new Chvrches album Every Open Eye, I was motivated to do so by the free pass for priority signing line access at the store next month when the band visits for a in store meeting session. I am so glad I bought the album. The band did not disappoint me with their second full length album. Definitely no sophomore slump here with its retro new wave sound and super catchy pop hooks. This album is going to give The Looking Glass Society by Ashbury Heights a run for its money as my top favorite album of 2015.



Take Cair Paramour wasn't a bad album per say but the vocalist at the time really didn't do much for me. The album had some solid songs but the chemistry between Kari and Anders was lacking for sure. A few years later, Ashbury Heights returns with a new singer Tea F. Thime and with top notch songs and production.


After It All by Delta Rae is one of those albums that required a few listens to before I really got into the music. A couple of the tracks can be bombastic and overwhelming to this listener but overall a great follow up album to their first album Carry the Fire which I adore.


I discovered SPC ECO earlier this summer via Facebook when I discovered that former Curve guitarist Dean Garcia was in this project with his wife. After checking out their latest album Dark Matter, I was hooked. People really need to check out this band. Their music is simply too good to ignore.


Invocation Array is side project from Kaia Young (The Luna Sequence, one of my favorite electropunk acts in the past 2-3 years). The music sounds like Kaia's main project The Luna Sequence but with vocals. Killer music.


I loved Joy when she was in the folk duo The Civil Wars and was disappointed when they disbanded (but not surprised given the amount of tension between the two members). Her first solo album post-Civil Wars came to me as a surprise because I was expecting the music to sound more like her old band than what I actually heard on Venus which has more of an electropop than folk sound.


Resonance is an album that I have been really wanting to hear for some time now. I really like the classical reinterprations of classic VNV Nation songs.


I am a new fan to Purity Ring. Another Eternity is my first Purity Ring album that I have bought. I first listened to it in its entirety when either Pitchfork or NPR had it available to stream in its entirety. I was immediately hooked. They are fantastic live too.


Without a doubt Endless Forms Most Beautiful is Nightwish's best album since Tarja's departure. Floor Jansen has proven to be a worthy successor to fill the huge shoes Tarja left.


Of all the futurepop albums I have heard this year, Dekadenz is my personal favorite. The album is flawless in my personal opinions. There isn't a single song on the album I skip.


Worth mentioning:
Future Perfect: After the Fall (EP1)
Neuroticfish: A Sign of Life
Moon and Pollution: The Box Borealis
Angels and Agony: Monument
Pegasus Asteroid: The Fog
Re/Vision: The SkyQode Tribute to De/Vision compilation
Camouflage: Greyscale

Comments

Popular Posts