My Favorite Albums From the '90s: The Mask and Mirror by Loreena Mckennitt

Before local radio station Cities 97 turned to shit after becoming Clear Channel's bitch, the station was very progressive in playing a diverse selection of artists and musical genres I rarely heard on other radio stations. Loreena McKennitt was one of the few artists I was exposed to by the station and quickly influenced by. I think it was "All Souls Night" that was the first song by Loreena that I had ever heard. It was totally love at first listen. Eventually I started hearing songs from The Mask and Mirror and totally loved what I had heard and that quickly became my first compact disc that I ever bought.

Since this album was the first CD I ever bought as well as first Loreena McKennitt album, it will always have a special place in my heart. I love reading the CD booklet which there is a brief description of the inspiration behind the songs. The art work is truly beautiful. No one ever puts in the kind of work that Loreena does with the CD booklets for each album she releases.

As for the music, I find Loreena's music very relaxing and soothing to after work. No one has a voice like Loreena does. I adore this album from start to finish. It is really difficult to pick a favorite out of the eight tracks. I love the dark lyrics to "The Bonny Swans" which reads like a soap opera, the vocalizations on "Santiago", and the haunting melodies to "The Dark Night Of the Soul" just to name a few reasons why I love this album. The older I get, the more I have come to appreciate this album.  I have no doubts I will still be listening to it in my later years in life.

Comments

Popular Posts