International Women's Day

So today (March 8) is International Women's day. I thought in honor of the holiday, I would post some of my favorite female artists and their body of work that I thought my readers should check out (regardless of musical genres).

Psalm One: The Death of Frequent Flyer


This album is by far my favorite rap album ever. Nicki Minaj has nothing on Psalm One who can just spit out some mad rhymes on this classic album. The lyrics are deeply personal and often humorous. Psalm One is proof that women don't need to rely on their sex appeal to be taken serious. Check out the title track, "Beat the Drum", "Peanuts", and "Rest in Peace". Psalm One is dope. End of story. Rhymesayers should be embarassed for ignoring her for all these years after releasing this excellent album.

Ari Mason

Ari Mason is one of my favorite finds in recent years. I discovered her through youtube a couple of years ago. At the end of this month she is releasing a full length album via Negative Gain records. I am so looking forward to hearing the album.

Angel Haze: Back to the Woods

Angel Haze is my other favorite rapper. I first fell in love with the hip hop artist in 2014 when I heard Angel's song "Battle Cry" which features Sia which led me to buy Angel's album Dirty Gold. Angel was the turning point that got me to start changing my mind about hip hop music (still think some of it is garbage though). Angel's lyrics are so deeply personal and moving too. Lyrically I say Dirty Gold has the best lyrics Angel has written (so far). I say Angel is a huge musical influence on me in the past two years. Angel's latest album Back to the Woods is excellent. I have to admit I had to listen to it many times for the songs to really sink in. The title track is my personal favorite track on the album.

Invocation Array: A Color For Fiction

Invocation Array is one of my favorite bands from last year. The band features Kaia Young of The Luna Sequence (another fave of mine) and Adrianne Grady. Imagine The Luna Sequence with vocals.

The Luna Sequence: Fearful Shepherds Hunt Their Sheep

I first discovered The Luna Sequence via bandcamp a few years ago and hasn't looked back since then. Definitely one of my favorite new discoveries in recent years.

The Internet: Ego Death

To be honest, I am not totally sold on r and b music but I absolutely adore The Internet. I love Syd the Kyd's smooth, seductive vocals. Ego Death is easily my favorite album by The Internet and the one I recommend the most.

Kitten: Heaven or Somewhere in Between

Kitten just released a new EP which I absolutely love. I discovered her last year. She has such a distinctive voice. Absolutely love her brand of synthpop.

Dessa: Parts of Speech


It is really funny. The first time I heard Dessa a few years back I really wasn't all that impressed. Fast forward to 2016, I decided to give her another chance (as well as her most recent album Parts of Speech) and found myself really enthralled with Dessa's lyrics and vocals.

Comments

Popular Posts