Album of the week

If you haven't heard of the new metal band Exit Eden, you should now. The band consists of four singers from four different countries: Amanda Somerville, Anna Brunner, Marina La Torraca, and Clementine Delauney. Last week their debut album Rhapsodies in Black was unleashed upon the public. I have been listening to the album since Friday. All of the songs are cover songs given a metal transformation. I am familiar with most of the songs but there were a few tracks I didn't recognize like "Impossible" by Shontelle.

One of the weakest tracks on Rhapsodies in Black for me is "Skyfall" . The band's version fell flat to me. For me, "Skyfall" really doesn't have any memorable melodies like on Adele's first two albums. As talented as the women are, they just couldn't make "Skyfall" work for me.  I am also not particularly crazy about their version of Depeche Mode's "A Question of Time". I really wanted to like it but I'm just not feeling the love of turning a classic synthpop song into a symphonic metal track. The rest of the album is terrific. I absolutely loved the band's interpretations of "Total Eclipse of the Heart", "Frozen", "Heaven" (my personal fave), and "Impossible". Despite the flaws, I like how each member had their own distinct sound and brought it to the table. I thought all the women harmonized well together. Rhapsodies in Black is just a fun album to listen to while at work or cleaning house at  home.


Comments

Popular Posts