Album of the week

I know I have said this in previous blog entries but I do have to say it again for tonight's blog entry. Country (and western) music for me is not my cup of tea, especially if it is country/western. Today's country/western music is nothing more than pop/rock music with a country twang.  That said I will make a few exceptions. A couple of those exceptions is Shelby Lynne and her sister Allison Moorer. I have been a fan of the two women for several years especially Allison Moorer. I always loved that the women walked to their own beat.

For years I have always wanted them to put out an album together.  Well my dream finally came true this year with their collaboration on Not Dark Yet. It is a gorgeous, intimate, sparse country album unfettered by the corporate machinations of Nashville. The album is a collection of cover songs which the women do so artfully well in reinterpreting the songs to suit their needs and talents. The sisters cover everyone from Nick Cave to Nirvana on this elegant album. Because this album does not sound like anything coming out of Nashville nowadays, I really was able to really get into the album and its laid back vibe. I can just kick back and chill to the music. It is simply  a beautiful, well made album. Please check it out. This is definitely not your traditional country album and it sure as heck not a country/western album. Nashville needs to take note on how good country music can sound when the music is not overpolished and the artists are not trying to be a rock or pop star.

 You can read more about the album below the playlist. I have posted a link to a recent NPR article as well as an interview with them on Rolling Stone's website.



You can read a recent NPR article about the sisters and their album here: http://www.npr.org/first-listen-shelby-lynne-allison-moorer-not-dark-yet

Rolling Stone interview: http://www.rollingstone.com/country/features/sisters-shelby-lynne-allison-moorer-talk-new-covers-album-w498479

Comments

Popular Posts