Albums and playlist I am currently listening to

This week has been a great week for me when it comes to new music. I did get some new music in the mail as well as borrowed some from the library.

My copy of Curve's remastered album arrived in the mail. I ordered the album back in June. I already had a copy but it was used when I bought it many, many years ago. Definitely worth the $$$. I also wanted an autographed print from the band (and that I did get). On the remastered copy of Doppelganger, the second disc includes their three EPs. The band's songs on this new version sounds even better. As good as my old copy of Doppelganger, I always hoped for the band to have it remastered.

On one of the two days off I had this week (not counting Labor day), I went over to the library and checked out several CDs that appealed to me. It had been years since I last heard Social D's Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell so I decided to get it when I saw the album in the racks. I definitely forgot how good the album is which is right up there with their 1990 self-titled album (my introduction to Social D).

While at the library, I came across Natalie Imbruglia's 2015 album Male. My curiosity got to me and I snagged the album. I wasn't really a huge fan of her music when she had a hit with her cover of Ednaswap's "Torn". I liked her version but after hearing a hundred times a day, I quickly grew weary of Natalie's voice. Fast foward to 2017. I found myself enjoying Male quite a bit. Her vocals don't bother me as much as they used to in the '90s. One of my favorite tracks is the ballad "Cannonball". After having a very shitty summer, I found myself relating a lot to the poignant lyrics. The rest of the pop/rock album is wonderful.

If you haven't heard of Shelby Lynne and Alison Moorer's album Not Dark Yet, you really should. These women are so underrated as singers and songwriters especially in a genre (i.e country music) that is more interested in churning out (country/pop) hits than allow an artist to grow and mature as he or see fit. The album is a collection of cover songs. I love their take on "Into My Arms" and "Lithium".

A good friend mine introduced me to the synth-rock act Fate Creator last month. I really liked their fusion of synth and rock music. I have yet to listen to their other album.

I love George Michael's ballads on Ladies and Gentlemen. That is my favorite disc on the two disc greatest hits compilation, not that I didn't like his more upbeat tracks but his ballads just really takes my breath away. He really did have a beautiful voice. Damn shame it took his death for me to really come to appreciate his talents as an artist, especially as a vocalist.

Finally got around to listen to Royskopp's final album The Inevitable End (another album I got from the library). I can't say I was a diehard fan but I always did like what the duo put out. I have only heard disc one but I certainly like what I have heard.

Albums:


















Playlists:









Comments

Popular Posts