Albums, singles, and playlists I am currently listening to

I made a slight change to this weekly blog entry, I added singles since I have been coming across some new singles lately.  I figured I might as well give singles its own category. I will only add singles if I hear some new tracks so the category may not be in every weekly post.

Hydrah has a new single out which dropped this week called "World is Mine". I have to hear a song from Hydrah that I did not like. I am looking forward to Hydrah's new EP when it drops. Her music is consistently good.

Loreena Mckennitt has a new song out called "Breaking out the Sword". All I can say is Loreena can sing the phone book and I would still get giddy over hearing her beautiful voice. Loreena can do no wrong in my eyes as a long time fan.

Local synthpop band Astronomique also released a new single this week called "Mimic Forms". I am really enjoying their new single. They kinda reminds me a bit of another local band Graveyard Club. The single is super catchy. The b-side "23rd Century" is very good and also worth listening to. I have been a fan of Astronomique for some time now. You can hear their other music on their bandcamp  page (https://astronomique.bandcamp.com/).

Although it is a month old I absolutely adore Tarja's version of "O Come, O Come Emmanuel". I love that she is going back to her classical roots. Her voice is so well suited for classical music.

Asides from fact that 2017 has been an utter shit show for me, I have to admit it has been a very good year for music. I have heard a ton of interesting new and old music. Of all the albums that I have heard this year, there is just a handful that has really resonated with me and I just listen to on a regular basis and without skipping any songs. One of those albums is The Hating Tree by Autumn (you can buy their music at their bandcamp page https://autumn-us.bandcamp.com/). I was listening to the album today on my afternoon walk and for an album that is 20 years old, it does not sound that it had been released in 1997. The album is one of those few albums that I have bought this year that can bring me out of the proverbial rabbit hole I have been in for the past several months. With a lot of albums, there is always a song or more I cringe and have to skip but not with The Hating tree. All the songs are fantastic. Hands down this is my absolute favorite darkwave album as well as one of my top 10 personal favorite albums of all time.  And yes, I am still listening to their new single "The Fall" every damn day. That remix by William Faith is just so good. He gives the band a completely new sound.

The Dark Element (Anette Olzon's new band) finally released their new album yesterday. I am really enjoying it a lot. The ballads are particularly good but as a whole I love the album. The Dark Element shows a lot of promise and I look forward to hearing more music from this talented band.

Having taken yesterday off from work, I have been listening a lot to CHROM, their 2nd and 3rd albums. I feel bad for neglecting my favorite EBM/Futurepop band. I love Synthetic Movement but I think Peak and Decay is stronger effort. There were some tracks on Synthetic Movement that didn't float my boat but on Peak and Decay I can listen to the album in its entirety from the beginning to the end.

This week at work I have been listening to the new Butcher Babies album Lilith. It isn't a bad album per say but I feel like the band sounds better live than on record. That is the impression I get when I listen to their music on Spotify (that their energy translates better live than recorded). I would love to see the band live one day. I really do enjoy the dual vocals by Heidi Shepard and Carla Harvey. I don't see that in any metal band in any sub-genre in the metal scene. That said Lilith is a solid metal album and certainly worth checking out.

I need to listen to the new albums by iVardensphere and Diary of Dreams a few more times before I can give a solid opinion on the albums. I also need to listen to the new albums by Noir and Mind.in.a.Box too. The new Grendel album Age of the Disposable Body is excellent.  I will say that for fans of the band's previous albums you might be disappointed in it because the lack of harsh, distorted vocals.

Albums:




















Singles:










Playlists:












Comments

Popular Posts