Earworm of the Week

This is one of my favorite songs off Nahko's excellent solo album My Name is Bear (which I listed as one of my favorite albums in 2017). This song has been forever stuck in my head. The song is several years ago (found an old video of Nahko performing this song on youtube,) and I assume Nahko probably thought it didn't fit in with the albums he and his band Medicine for the People had released over the years, and ultimately saved it for his solo album released last year. Whatever the case might be, I am glad Nahko recorded this song. It is a gorgeous acoustic track and after losing my father this past summer, the song has really helped me through the grieving process and still is to this very day.

"Hamakua" translates as "the breath of God". According to this article on the lyrics, Nahko was "going through a transformation again, struggling to adapt to a lifestyle where I was going through a loss of love". I can so relate to the  lyrics in verses 2 and 3 to some of the emotions I have been experiencing for the past several months. I am not religious, let alone spiritual person but strangely enough I found the lyrics to be comforting.

Since the shit show of 2017 between getting hit by a car , harassment on the bus incident, and losing my father last summer, I have been in a lot of pain from the physical and emotional trauma, and grief. To be honest, there hasn't been a lot of music that I could take solace in but Nahko's solo album My Name is Bear and the albums with Medicine for the People have been a source of comfort to me. I am so going to Nahko and Medicine for the People's upcoming show at The Armory Dispatch in September.

Comments

Popular Posts