My current favorite songs of the week

TGIF! This has been an interesting week music-wise for me. After creating a dream pop/shoegaze playlist earlier this week, quite a few songs from it filtered into this week's playlist ;).

Really digging the sounds of The Fauns, a band from the UK. I found them through Spotify. Not sure what is happening with the band at the moment. Their FB page hasn't been touched since December and even before that it wasn't used since 2016. I hope all is well and they are just taking a brief hiatus. I love their two albums they put out. I kinda like them a bit more than the Miniatures. I think The Fauns has a better ear for melodies.

Another band I had discovered this week but through the site Post-Punk is Cigarettes After Sex. They are an ambient/pop band. Their music is quite chill so not the ideal music to listen to at work but at home it is great music to listen to at home. Next month, Cigarettes After Sex will be playing at First Avenue. I probably won't make it because I would have to take the next day off and I rather save my PTO for my Chicago trip and to see L7 (and possibly the Covenant show).

I don't know why I never listened to Mojave 3 before but I will now, great stuff. Again, not the best music to listen to at work. I can't do mellow music at work.

One of my new favorite bands from last year Tashaki Miyaki posted on Spotify a cover of Missy Elliott's "I Can't Stand the Rain" from their 2015 Under cover vol.II.  It is a bit odd but at the same time brilliant. I love their cover. So not expected. If you haven't heard of Tashaki Miyaki, I defintely recommend giving their music a listen. Great noir pop/dream pop.

This week I had posted a blog on Steps and their song "Story of a Heart". I said that their song sounded an awful lot like ABBA . As it turns out, "Story of a Heart" was from one of the founding members of ABBA Benny Andersson. He had written it for his band Benny Andersson Band. Today and yesterday I spent a good chunk of my work day listening to both versions. They sound amazingly alike although there are subtle differences in the production with each version. I love both versions and I can't say which one is better. And I am not embarrassed for liking both versions or the song itself. Sometimes I need a break from all the synthpop, darkwave, and symphonic metal I listen to.

This week I finally remembered to listen to the new Project Pitchfork album Akkretion. It has been awhile since I have listened to their music. It is a pretty good album but  to me their music can be repetitive.

Comments

Popular Posts